A New Jersey based consultancy called MetaOption provides some good insights today, well expressed, regarding some of the ways in which Dynamics NAV manufacturing functionality (now Business Central) can boost a manufacturer’s process efficiency by allowing users to better manage production, orders, bills of material and supply & capacity requirements planning. Their original post is here. We’ll excerpt a few highlights in our blog today. So herewith, some key benefits users will find in the Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Business Central) solution for manufacturing…
- Bill of Materials – Everyone from warehouses to container ships depends on accurate and easy-to-read bills of materials. The Bill of Materials features powerful and easy-to-maintain functions including a new routing design which allows users to maintain comparable versions of the routings and bills of materials. You can assign labor to purchase orders, requisition POs to BOMs and track labor costs of production runs directly in Business Central.
- Agile Manufacturing – This Agile Manufacturing function allows users to design rush orders, make exceptions and resolve last-minute changes to manufacturing processes through interactive planning and tracking. Users can add capacities to manufacturing processes, set up specific routings for production orders and better manage material requirements planning. Each load and task list can be viewed by the individual capacities.
- Production Orders – Users can easily create and manage production orders and forecast consumption against manufacturing data. Upon creation of a new production order, you can automatically calculate your net requirements, or use the traditional supply planning tool if you dislike automatic planning. The order planning feature offers the tools and visibility needed to manually plan for sales and future demand in order to directly create different types of supply orders.
- Demand Forecasting – Users can forecast based on items, and input demand (sales) forecasts for products and components in a more convenient way (daily, monthly, quarterly). The system can plan and create production and purchase orders taking into consideration the demand forecast together with the level of available inventory and your requirement planning rules.
- Machine Center Allocation – Users can add machine center modules to manage the individual capacity of one machine unit or production. Machine centers help users to better plan and manage capacity from two perspectives: a consolidated view for work centers and a detailed view of machine centers. This unique function allows users to store additional default information about manufacturing processes, such as setup times and scrap percentages, into the system.